Week 10: Dummy Variables, Regression Diagnostics, and Model Evaluation
By now, you have gained quite a bit of experience estimating regression models. Perhaps one thing you have noticed is that you have not been able to include categorical predictor/control variables. In social science, many of the predictor variables that we might want to use are inherently qualitative and measured categorically (i.e., race, gender, political party affiliation, etc.). This week, you will learn how to use categorical variables in our multiple regression models.
While we have discussed a great deal about the benefits of multiple regression, we have been reticent about what can go wrong in our models. For our models to provide accurate estimates, we must adhere to a set of assumptions. Given the dynamics of the social world, data gathered are often far from perfect. This week, you will examine all of the assumptions of multiple regression and how you can test for them.
• Analyze multiple regression testing using dummy variables
• Analyze measures for multiple regression testing
• Construct research questions
• Evaluate assumptions of multiple regression testing
• Analyze assumptions of correlation and bivariate regression
• Analyze implications for social change
Assignment: Testing for Multiple Regression
In Week 9, you completed your Part 1 for this Assignment. For this week, you will complete Part 2 where you will create a research question that can be answered through multiple regression using dummy variables.
To prepare for this Part 2 of your Assignment:
• Review Warner’s Chapter 12 and Chapter 2 of the Wagner course text and the media program found in this week’s Learning Resources and consider the use of dummy variables.
• Using the SPSS software, open the Afrobarometer dataset or the High School Longitudinal Study dataset (whichever you choose) found in this week’s Learning Resources.
• Consider the following:
o Create a research question with metric variables and one variable that requires dummy coding. Estimate the model and report results. Note: You are expected to perform regression diagnostics and report that as well.
• Once you perform your analysis, review Chapter 11 of the Wagner text to understand how to copy and paste your output into your Word document.
For this Part 2 Assignment:
Write a 2- to 3-page analysis of your multiple regression using dummy variables results for each research question. In your analysis, display the data for the output. Based on your results, provide an explanation of what the implications of social change might be.
Use proper APA format, citations, and referencing for your analysis, research question, and display of output.
At Ultimate Scholars we are committed to Quality,Originality and Academic Writing Prowess. Say NO to plagiarism and place an order for a similar or different assignment and get amazing discounts CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER. or contact us through email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org